foxes eating rabbits or lions catching antelope
is not in any way shape or form
the same thing
as people mass producing, forcefully breeding non-human animals, and slaughtering them by the hundreds of millions to be packaged into plastic wrapped cartons for you to buy from a store that you drove your car to
This is a great question. As cool as it would be if everyone decided to go vegan, it wouldn’t happen overnight. As more people decide to switch to a humane and compassionate lifestyle, the demand for animal products starts to decline. When this happens, farmers start breeding less animals for consumption.
What effect does this have on the environment?
- Less carbon dioxide emission (if one person exchanges eating meat for a vegan diet, they’ll reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 1.5 tons per year)
- less methane production (chickens, turkeys, pigs, and cows are collectively the largest producer of methane in the U.S.)
- less nitrus oxide (the meat, egg, and dairy industries produce 65% of worldwide nitrous oxide emissions)
- not to mention that 1 calorie from animal protein requires 11 times as much fossil fuel as one calorie of plant protein
- and the diets of meat eaters create 7x the greenhouse emissions as the diets of vegans
- nearly half of all water used in the United States goes to raising animals for food. it takes more than 2,400 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of meat (1 pound of wheat requires 25 gallons)
- you’d save more water by not eating one pound of meat than you would by not taking a shower for 6 months
- raising animals for food uses 30% of the earth’s land mass (that’s about the same size as Asia! approx. 17 Million sq. miles. to give you another point of reference, the moon has less area than that, at 14.6 million square miles)
- more than 260 million acres of U.S. forest have been cleared to create cropland to grow grain to feed farmed animals
Why is raising animals for food so inefficient?
- 70% of grain and cereals grown in U.S. are fed to farmed animals
- it requires 16 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of meat
What does eating meat have to do with people starving in other countries?
- every ounce of water, grain and resources that goes towards an animal who will ultimately be slaughtered is an ounce of water or grain that could have gone to those who so desperately need it. a study published earlier this year in the journal Environmental Research Letters analyzed the world’s agriculture resource data and found that humans cutting meat from their diets could play a significant role in combating world hunger. According to the researchers, 36 percent of the total calories that come from crops are allocated to farm animal feed, but only 12 percent of those calories actually make it to people’s dinner plates. The researchers concluded that if all of the world’s crops were directly consumed by humans, there would be approximately 70 percent more food available, providing sustenance for an additional 4 billion additional people.
Check out this article, in which the UN is urging a global shift towards a vegan diet -
As the global population surges towards a predicted 9.1 billion people by 2050, western tastes for diets rich in meat and dairy products are unsustainable, says the report from United Nations Environment Programme’s (UNEP) international panel of sustainable resource management.”
So, in short, if the planet begins to move towards a vegan diet, our planet would last much longer, there would be better food opportunities for people who don’t get enough, there would be less damage done to the environment, there would be less disease, and maybe the other sentient beings on this planet will finally be treated with the respect they deserve.
Plants are not conscious.
Plants do not feel pain.
Plants lack a central nervous system.
Plants lack sentience.
Animals are sentient beings.
Comparing eating plants with eating animals is laughable and if you’re sticking up for “plant rights” you eat both things, without plants you would die. Take a long look at your life.
This has been a PSA (◡‿◡✿)
there are people who actually think abortion is murder but killing animals isnt
I’m glad you’re enjoying the blog! Here is a chickpea round up. Here are some other chickpea recipes I’ve posted on here before. Enjoy!
- vegan hummus round up
- deep & fried Sriracha chickpeas
- buffalo chickpea dip
- chickpea caulipots with miso mushroom gravy
- buffalo chickpea nuggets & stuffed jalapenos
- tangy curried chickpea salad
- chickpea salad wrap
- PB banana bacon sandwiches
- avocado chickpea salad sandwiches
- kale, chickpea & sumac marinated onion sandwich
- zucchini chickpea burgers
- doublebatch chickpea cutlets
- green island fritters over rice & verde guacamole
- toasty pumpkin chickpea fritters
- vegetable lentil loaf with chickpea gravy
- Middle Eastern chickpea & rice salad (GF)
- chickpea & white bean ravioli with roasted pepper cream sauce
- Indian spiced chickpeas, potatoes & spinach (GF)
- chickpea, potato & spinach jalfrezi with cilantro chutney (GF)
- spicy chickpea curry
- chana masala
- chickpea noodle soup with herb dumplings
- smoky roasted cauliflower soup with herbed chickpea dumplings
- chickpea rice soup with cabbage
- crockpot red lentil chickpea squash soup
- Moroccan style vegetable & chickpea stew
- chickpea & turnip stew with Ethiopian spices (GF)
- fall potato, carrot & chickpea stew
- roasted cauliflower & chickpea tagine with a saffron spiced cashew & cranberry bulgar wheat & minted tahini dressing
- curry chickpea & potato pie
- chickpea & artichoke bliss in a dish (GF)
- creamy & comforting chickpea pasta casserole (GF)
- cheesy broccoli rice casserole with chickpeas
- chocolate chip chickpea cheesecake
- chickpea blondies
- Meat eater: Hey vegan where do you get protein?
- Meat eater: hey vegan do you want some bacon OH WAIT YOU CAN'T!!!!
- Meat eater: Hey vegan WHAT ABOUT CANINE TEETH? EXPLAIN THEM HUH I BET YOU CAN'T!!!!!!!
- Meat eater: Hey VEGAN can you still suck my dick or is that not vegan LOL!!!!!!
- Meat eater: Hey vegan do you know what PETA stands for? people eating tasty animals!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA
- Meat eater: wHAT YOU ARE VEGAN? OH HOW CAN YOU TELL WHEN SOMEONE IS VEGAN OH DONT WORRY THEY WILL TELL YOU HAHAHA
- Meat eater: WHAT ABOUT PLANTS FEEEELINGGGGSSSSS CARROT GENOCIDE
- Vegan: Can you please shut up?
- Meat eater: OH MY GOD YOU MISANTHROPIC ELITIST PIECE OF SHIT! SO MUCH FOR COMPASSION. FUCKING GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE. FUCKING RUDEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
- This is sad because it's true..